ACC announces change to COVID-19 forfeit policy
The ACC is adjusting its COVID-19 forfeit policy for the 2021-22 men’s and women’s basketball seasons, the conference announced on Wednesday.
Previously, teams who were unable to play a conference game due to COVID-19 were forced to forfeit. Games that cannot be rescheduled will now be considered a “no contest.”
This ruling comes just days after Boston College and Wake Forest’s game was canceled due to COVID-19 issues with the Eagles. Under the old rules, Wake Forest would have been given a win and Boston College a loss. The new rule applies retroactively, so both teams remain at 1-0 in conference play.
Here’s the statement from the ACC:
ACC announces change to game rescheduling policy.
I've been told this is retroactive, so Wake Forest and BC both go back to 1-0 in ACC. pic.twitter.com/8YIbwQ4JZf
— Conor O'Neill (@ConorONeill_DI) December 22, 2021
Additionally, the ACC is adopting the “seven plus one” rule, which requires seven student-athletes and one coach to be available for a game.
These changes were unanimously approved by the ACC’s athletic directors, the conference said in the release.
The ACC’s slate continues on Wednesday night as Clemson faces off vs. Virginia and Duke hosts Virginia Tech.