Athlon Sports puts 3 ACC players on 2023 preseason All-America team
Athlon Sports released its 2023 preseason All-America teams this week.
A trio of ACC players earned first-team honors, all on the defensive side of the ball: Florida State defensive lineman Jared Verse, Clemson linebacker Jeremiah Trotter Jr. and Miami safety Kamren Kinchens.
No ACC player on the offensive side of the ball picked up first-team honors from Athlon.
However, North Carolina quarterback Drake Maye headlined another group of ACC stars who were named to the second team. Maye just missed out on being included in the first-team, but was behind returning Heisman Trophy winner Caleb Williams.
Clemson running back Will Shipley, Duke offensive lineman Graham Barton, Clemson defensive lineman Tyler Davis, Clemson linebacker Barrett Carter and Florida State cornerback Fentrell Cypress II also made second-team All-America.
In total, Athlon named 4 preseason All-America teams. Here are the remaining ACC players who earned a mention:
- Florida State WR Johnny Wilson (3rd team)
- Boston College OL Christian Mahogany (3rd team)
- North Carolina LB Cedric Gray (3rd team)
- Florida State QB Jordan Travis (4th team)
- Florida State RB Trey Benson (4th team)
- Duke DL DeWayne Carter (4th team)
- NC State LB Payton Wilson (4th team)
- Clemson S Andrew Mukuba (4th team)
In total, 17 ACC players were named to one of the 4 preseason All-America teams.