NC State QB Devin Leary named preseason ACC Player of the Year
NC State quarterback Devin Leary picked up another preseason accolade on Wednesday afternoon as he was named ACC preseason player of the year.
— NC State Football (@PackFootball) July 27, 2022
Leary beat out Wake Forest quarterback Sam Hartman and Miami quarterback Tyler Van Dyke for the honor. Here’s how the voting broke down:
- Devin Leary, QB, NC State (40)
- Sam Hartman, QB, Wake Forest (30)
- Tyler Van Dyke, QB, Miami (21)
- Bryan Breese, DT, Clemson (14)
- Brennan Armstrong, QB, Virginia (14)
- Malik Cunningham, QB, Louisville (12)
- Josh Downs, WR, North Carolina (12)
- Sean Tucker, RB, Syracuse (11)
- Myles Murphy, DT, Clemson (5)
- Trenton Simpson, LB, Clemson (3)
- Jammie Robinson, S, Florida State (2)
Three different Clemson defenders received votes for the honor as well. Syracuse running back Sean Tucker was the only running back to receive consideration from the panel of 164 media voters.
Last season, Leary broke out to the tune of 35 touchdowns compared to just 5 interceptions. He also completed 65.7% of his passes and threw for 3,433 yards as NC State went 9-3 in the regular season.
This year, Leary is hoping to bring NC State its first double-digit win season in the last 2 decades. The Wolfpack were picked to finish second in the Atlantic division behind Clemson in the media’s preseason poll.
NC State opens the 2022 season with East Carolina on Sept. 3.